Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Marxed Out

I have survived the first two and half weeks of my Media Studies masters program. Right now I am writing a paper about various theoretical frameworks used in understanding the relationship between the media and society. I am pretty sure that I know more about Marxism than anyone ever should, but my hope is that one day, when I am on Jeopardy, a category pertaining to Karl Marx will appear and I will be able to sweep. And you better believe if I land on a daily double, things are going to get crazy.

In the last week I have attended five lectures, two cocktail parties, and one South African braai. A braai is equivalent to a good ole' Texas BBQ, only with cooler accents and less skeet shooting. Speaking of the States, last night, at our dining hall's cocktail reception, I was talking with some friends when I heard the strangest thing. That's right, it was an American accent. One that was not coming out of my mouth. So I did what I always do in social situations where finesse and manners are required. I literally jumped in front of these two people and yelled, "Holy crap, are y'all from the States?!" I had no idea I would get so excited, but after three weeks, the prospect of unexpectedly meeting someone from home was awesome. Both of the kids (I use this term because I was one of the oldest people at the cocktail, making me feel both incredibly sophisticated and a touch awkward) said they were from Maryland. I admit, Maryland isn't quite as great as the South, but it is below the Mason-Dixon line, so I'll give them credit.

And guess what? It cooled down here in Grahamstown. My prayers have been answered. Now I'm just waiting for Brad Pitt to materialize in my room.

Stay classy,
Brittany

4 Comments:

At February 10, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

What with Brad Pitt adopting babies from here, there and everywhere, I'd say the chances of him showing up in your room are greater than you'd expect! I am glad the heat has subsided and that you are getting out there and having a grand time. I'll let you know if I see any Jeopardy questions about Marxism - I've been watching a sad amount of Jeopardy these days (you know, when I am not doing PHP homework or fouling up chords on my guitar, hehe).

 
At February 10, 2009 at 8:15 PM, Blogger flowerweaver said...

So how do you pronounce braai? Do they use some exotic wood to smoke the meat?

Once I ended up in a college course by accident about the Marxist view of America. Barely having my own view of this country at the time, it was very confusing. I was totally shocked when my papers came back with "brilliant!" scribbled across them. So if we both make it on Jeopardy, watch out!

This week I accidentally super-glued my thumb to my dog's head (Francisco). Both of us are OK, but Uncle Rick has the flu. Sending you a big fuzzy pink heart with glitter kind of hug for Valentines!

Love,

Aunt Sage & Uncle Rick

 
At February 12, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Blogger Hilry Evonne said...

Clearly, you've forgotten the 8th world wonder that is Calverton, Maryland. Just as great as the South? Possibly.

 
At February 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Blogger Hilry Evonne said...

Clearly, you've forgotten about the 8th world wonder that is Calverton, Maryland. Just as great as the South? Probably.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home