Saturday, November 14, 2009

Cape Town Vacation

Molo (that's xhosa for hello)!

I am so sorry that I have once again fallen behind on my blog updates! But fear not, my recent absence is due to what I would consider a much needed vacation! After finishing my coursework and exams I decided to take a road trip to Cape Town with two of my lovely friends from Rhodes University. We drove from Grahamstown to Cape Town via the incredibly scenic Garden Route, and after a 900 kilometer journey, I arrived in Cape Town on Halloween night. My vacation consisted of a number of amazing adventures including a hiking and biking excursion through the Cape Point Nature Reserve where I stood at the Cape of Good Hope, the point in South Africa where the Atlantic and Indian oceans meet, and a trip to Robben Island where I visited the cell where Nelson Mandela was incarcerated for 18 years as a political prisoner under the Apartheid Regime. I also had the opportunity to speak to two Rotary clubs in the Cape Town area, both of which were incredibly warm and welcoming.

I must admit that I also spent an ample amount of time reading ridiculously cheesy romance novels while sprawled out underneath a beach umbrella at Camps Bay. I also made a few trips to Boulders Beach, an area in False Bay where many African penguins have made their home. After visiting the penguins, I am pretty sure I have found my animal brethren. Penguins are incredibly sweet and gentle creatures, though they are ridiculously uncoordinated and seemingly scatterbrained as they spend the majority of their time wandering around and falling over mounds of seaweed. A placard near the beach simply stated, "African penguins are ungainly and awkward on land". I'm telling y'all, the similarities are uncanny.

All in all, I had a marvelous time in Cape Town! I was able to visit some of the most awe inspiring historical sites of my life, explore the amazing natural wonders of South Africa, and wander the city with friends, both old and new. I will leave you all with some pictures of my travels, but before I sign off, I want to send my love. I hope you are all well!

Sala kahle,
B
Cape Point Nature Reserve


Cape of Good Hope


Penguins!


Cell Block Buildings at Robben Island


Simonstown

2 Comments:

At November 16, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Baby Girl...
The pictures are awesome. You looked very relaxed and beautiful. I can't wait to see you in less than a month!!!!!I want to vist Capetown on my adventure to South Africa...I am excited about the penguins too..looks like family.

All my love...hugs...kisses...
Guess Who

 
At November 20, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Blogger Meghan said...

According to "Never Been Kissed" (which is obviously a reputable source on everything penguin) penguins are also very loyal... another thing you share in common!

Your photos are lovely! I'm glad you're having a good time. :-)

-M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home