Monday, February 15, 2010

Single's Awareness Day - Come and Gone

Hello there lovely friends!

As you all know, yesterday was International Single's Awareness Day/Valentine's Day. Each year I usually celebrate by gathering with a group of friends, injesting a ridiculous amount of chocolate, and then bashing in a pinata of some sort in order to vent my frustrations. But can you believe it, yesterday I didn't even celebrate! As commercialized as Valentine's Day is in the States, it pretty much goes by unnoticed here in South Africa, which means I spent the entirety of yesterday reading about Foucauldian theory, until lo and behold, I realized it was February 14th! By then it was 8 PM and too late to organize a shindig where my friends and I systematically set several bouquets of flowers on fire, so instead I made myself a nice dinner and watched the ultimate girl power movie, Whip It! It was a lovely day, and though I think it's important to recognize and celebrate the love you share with others each and every day, I thought I would give you all a special post-VDAY shout out to say that I love you!

In other news, I, in true Brittany form, managed to lock myself out of my room on Saturday. And my computer refuses to access the wireless internet on campus. But those have been the only hitches in my giddy up, so all in all, things have been going swimmingly. In fact, I found out this morning that my digsmate, Jill and I, got tickets to the World Cup! In June we will be headed to Port Elizabeth to see the Serbia versus Germany match! I would have loved to see the US team compete (hey there Clint Dempsey), but understandably, tickets closer to the finals are way more expensive. So Serbia, here I come (you know I have to root for the underdog)!

Also, per Aunt Sage's request, I am unleashing the tentative title of my thesis - The representation of women’s reproductive rights in the American feminist blogosphere: an analysis of the debate around women’s reproductive rights and abortion legislation in response to the reformation of the United States health care system in 2009/10.

However, as you all know, no healthcare legistlation has passed, so while I am researching and establishing my theoretical framework, I am waiting out the legistlative process. So I suppose we'll see what happens!

I hope all of you stateside people are enjoying the snow! Take care of yourselves!

Love,
B

3 Comments:

At February 16, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Blogger flowerweaver said...

We'll root for Serbia with you even though it is unlikely we will be able to watch it without TV here in the boonies. We did manage to watch a little of the ice skating and more frightening winter sports at the house of some friends tonight.

As to the actual reformation of American health care, I will believe it when I see it, but you should still find plenty of debate on your subject in the blogosphere.

It has not snowed here, but it might as well: our heat pump is once again on the blink, the house is freezing, and I am teaching guitar with 52 layers of clothes on looking like the Abominable Snow(wo)man.

Stay cool,

Aunt Sage

 
At February 16, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Blogger Alice said...

I so bashed up everything valentine-related. it felt AWESOME.

 
At February 21, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

I'm glad you had a nice Valentine's Day, despite realizing it was upon you a bit belatedly. This year I spent Valentine's day being beat up in a field of snow - we had our last football game! In terms of Valentine's Day activities, I think it gets a 10/10. If ever you get the opportunity, go for it! Haha. Glad to hear all is generally splendid! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home